Thursday, December 10, 2009

Candy girl...you are my world.

I really want to make delicious treats for people for the holidays. So far I made peanut butter cookies with chocolate m-n-ms that I deemed not good enough to give out so I ate them all myself. Well, that's not fair. Harper and Brett had three. But I fancy myself a baker who rarely bakes so I decided I'm really going to do it! I'm going to make chocolate mint divinity! Let's do this, holidays! So I scanned through the recipe and then I read this (bolding my emphasis):

Cook over medium heat, without stirring, to 260 degree F, hard-ball stage. Mixture should boil at moderate, steady rate over entire surface. Reaching hard-ball stage should take about 15 minutes.

What the hell is hard ball stage?? Sorry hard-ball stage?? I'm out of my element(Donny)!!Is this some inside joke with bakers? They never expect us sugar fans to ever read the recipe and find them out?? But find out WHAT? How will I know if I've reached hard-ball stage if I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS???

Guys, we can all calm down. There was a small time lapse wherein I googled it. But here's the bad news. I'm only SLIGHTLY less confused! Apparently there's also soft-ball and firm-ball that goes along with hard-ball! But the difference between firm-ball and hard-ball is not as obvious as it seems! Candy making is a science, guys! I found that out on a website about the science of candy! Does this make it more fun or less? I DON'T KNOW!!

I may or may not be making candy treats for the holidays. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment